A group of grassroots Gerakan memebers have decided to speak out publicly on the issue of Lee Kah Choon, whom they feel that should not be labeled as opportunist and political ‘frog”.
They have also decided to give an advice to the party adviser Dr Lim Keng Yaik to stop interfering with party affairs publicly, as was the case over the past few months when he has preempted party top leadership with statements that were causing damage to the party image. They would lke to remind him to keep to his words that he would not give advice publicly after he retired, and would only speak his mind when his view is sought .
I have drafted the press release for the group in both English and Chinese and I will post it below:
Press release by a group of Parti Gerakan members:
Press Release by a group of KLFT Gerakan leaders 29 April 2008
1. The people have spoken. Barisan Nasional, including Gerakan, has suffered a big loss.
We, as members of Parti Gerakan, are of the view that Parti Gerakan should accept and respect the people’s choice .We should be humble and listen to the voice asking for change. We should find out why we have lost and take corrective steps to overcome the weaknesses .
2. We must realize politicians’ first priority is to the people. People’s interest must come first.
Individuals can come and go but the people’s interest must always be defended and the people’s welfare must always be upheld.
3. The political scenario has changed. This change has come amidst many new challenges facing the country. These include the hefty increase in food prices due to world wide food shortage; the increase in energy costs due to the ever-rising petroleum prices; the inflationary pressure that you and I as ordinary citizens are facing.
Other challenges include a sluggish economy due to a world wide slowdown as a result of recession in the United States.
We also need to work hard to reform our Judiciary, improve governance, tackle corruption and improve the crime situation in the country.
4. As a result of these challenges, we need to make the country more productive. As Malaysians, we must pool our resources together to further develop the country and bring in new investments, create more employment and move up the technological ladder in industries.
5. To achieve these goals, we need to have the best available persons working together.
6. This is the time for more work, and less politicking. We must cut down on politicking, and those in power and those in opposition must be prepared to work hand in hand to bring more development to the people and improve the economic status of the people, thus ensuring prosperity and raising the standard of living of the people.
7. In this context, we view Sdr Lee Kah Choon’s acceptance of the directorship of Penang Development Corporation and the executive chairmanship of InvestPenang as something that is beneficiary to the people of Penang. These appointments are non political, and his work would be no different from that of a civil servant who is apolitical.
8. We note that Sdr Lee Kah Choon, at the time of his acceptance of these positions, is only an ordinary member of Gerakan, with no decision making status in Party. Hence, his acceptance of these positions would not jeopardise the party’s interest. Furthermore, he is putting people’s interest above his self interest . This sort of behaviour should be encouraged and should not be subjected to dispute let alone any disciplinary action. We feel that by his unselfish action, he has created an excellent example of how people with differing political views can work together for the benefits of the people.
9. We feel strongly that Sdr Dr Lim Keng Yaik, as an advisor to the party and a retired politician, should not have labeled Sdr Lee Kah Choon as an opportunist and a political ‘Katak’.
10. At the time of his acceptance, Sdr Lee Kah Choon has stressed that he remains and wishes to remain as an ordinary Gerakan member and hence there is no ” crossing over’ as in the case of a political Katak, as was the case when Sdr Dr Lim himself joined Gerakan after being expelled from MCA in the early 70s.
11. Sdr Dr Lim’s action has forced the hand of party leadership to act and asked for a show cause letter from Sdr Lee Kah Choon. This has forced Sdr Lee to quit the party.
12. We feel strongly that Malaysians should think more out of the box and should not oppose for the sake of opposing when the people’s interest is at stake. People’s well being and interest should always be viewed above the narrow partisan interest.
13. We feel that in this new era, cooperation rather than confrontation would have benefited people more.
14. We regret that a capable leader who was deemed to be fit enough to be a potential Chief Minister of Penang by party leadership just less than 60 days ago, is now deemed to be inexperienced and an opportunist. We regret that a capable leader has been forced out of the party as a result of the action by Sdr Dr Lim Keng Yaik.
15. We wish to give an advice to Sdr Dr Lim Keng Yaik that he should stick to what he has said publicly, at the time when he announced his retirement, that he would only give advice when asked for. By giving unsolicited advice publicly over party matters over the past few months, he has done the party image a lot of damages.
16. Because of this, we ask that Sdr Dr Lim Keng Yaik should quit his post as party adviser and should not interfere anymore in the party affairs.
17. Perhaps, he should now retire graciously and should devote more time to his family.
Dr Hsu Dar Ren
1。 3月8日，人民已作了裁決。 作為民政黨員， 我們希望民政領袖，能虛心的接受這個事實，找出失敗的原因，作出改變。
2。 政黨應以人民的利益為歸依。領袖們要以人民的意愿和權益為根本。人民為先，政黨和個人的利益為后， 這才是從政之道。
3。國家正面對着許多問題。物價全面性的高漲。不單只汽油和運輸費，連食品米糧，也在上漲。這同時，美國經濟蕭條，影響全球經濟， 包括我國經濟也在放缓. 國家正是面臨多事之秋。
7。在這應以大局為重的時候，李家全同志接受委任為Penang Development Corporation 和 InvestPenang 的 董事，是理應受到人民和我黨領袖的贊許的。這兩個職位，不是政治性的，而是好像公務員性質的，負責策劃檳州的經濟發展和引進外資，以進一步改善檳州人民的生活和收入。對人民來說，是件很好的事情。
Please also read this post on Lee Kah Choon: The ball is at Gerakan’s Foot