Update: This is the statement I issued today on our party Stand on the teaching of Maths and Science in English at the primary school level.
Malaysiakini (english)carried this statement in this link.
MalaysianInsider carried this statement here.
Malaysiakini(Chinese) has carried the statement in this link.
Merdekareview carried the statement in this link.
The statements are self explanatory:
1. I refer to the media reports on the 5th round table meeting to discuss the teaching of Science and mathematics in English which was organized by the Ministry of Education.
2. Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia Central Education and Knowledge Society Bureau would like to reiterate the stand of Parti Gerakan on this issue; We believe strongly that the teaching of Science and Mathematics at primary level should be conducted in mother tongue. At the same time, the teaching of English as a subject at primary level should be improved.
3. English, however, can be used in the teaching of Science and Mathematics at the secondary school and tertiary levels, provided there are sufficient qualified teaching staff to do so.
4. Our position has been consistent since 2002. We have submitted a memorandum on our position in 2002, and again in 2005 to the present Education Minister. Since this issue is of utmost importance, we shall submit once again another memorandum on this position of ours.
5. Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia, as a people orientated party, has always viewed education as one of the most important elements in nation building, and would be happy to take part in any discussion on educational issues as well as any issue affecting the interest of Malaysian people.
6. We therefore wish to express our regret that Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia did not receive any invitation to this 5th round table meeting, although according to media reports, about 200 representatives from various political parties and NGOs were invited.
7. While there was no official invitation extended to Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia, we find it strange that according to feedback from other participants, there were seats reserved for our party.
8. We discovered that some BN component parties such as SUPP were also not invited despite having designated seats for the parties.
9. We feel that this will create a negative perception for the parties affected. We would like to strongly urge the Minister of Education to carry out a thorough investigation and give us an answer on this matter, and we hope that the same thing would not happen again in future.
10. Notwithstanding this, we shall continue to voice our position directly to the Minister of Education as well as to the public.
1. 有關媒體報道, 由教育部所組辦的第5次英文教數理科政策圓桌會議,已于昨日舉行. 民政黨中央教育及知識社會局, 要在此重申民政黨對這項課題的立場.
2. 民政黨向來主張, 在小學階段, 應以母語教導數理科. 在此同時, 英語的教導和水平, 也需加強和提升.
3. 民政黨也認為, 在中學和大學階段, 如有足夠師資, 則可應用英語教導數理.
4. 民政黨立場, 一貫如此. 我黨曾在2002年, 呈上一份備忘錄, 表明我黨的這一項立場. 也在2005年, 再次的提呈同一備忘錄,給于現任教育部長. 基于這課題的重要性, 我黨將會再一次 的, 提呈這備忘錄給有關當局.
5. 作為一個以民為本的政黨, 民政黨非常關注教育問題, 也非常樂意出席討論有關教育方面的會議.
6. 故此, 民政黨感到非常遺憾, 第5次英文教數理科政策圓桌會議, 我黨并沒有接到邀請.
7. 更奇怪的是, 雖然民政黨并沒有被邀請, 在圓桌會議上, 卻有準備給民政黨代表的席位.
8. 一些國陣成員黨, 如SUPP, 也面對同樣的情形.
9. 我黨認為, 這種情形, 會給人民一種錯覺. 有基于此, 我黨希望我們尊敬的教育部長, 能徹底調查這宗事件, 給我們一項合理的交代. 我們也希望, 同樣事件, 不會再發生.
10.雖然如此, 我黨將繼續直接向我國教育部長和全國人民, 表明我黨對這課題的立場.