Press Statement 16th July 2009
1. I refer to the shocking news about the death of Mr Teoh Beng Hock , the political secretary to an Exco member of Selangor.
2. He was allegedly only a witness called up by MACC for questioning and was allegedly released at 3.45 am this morning. However, according to news report, he was discovered dead on the roof of an adjacent building at 1.30pm today,
3. Since there are many unanswered questions in this case, I hope that the authority would leave no stones unturned to uncover what has really happened.
4. Since he was under the custody of MACC and died an unnatural death while still in the MACC building, MACC would have to give a satisfactory answer not only to the family of the decease but to the public at large.
5. If Malaysia prides itself to be a civilised country, this death must be thoroughly investigated, and there must be full transparency and accountability in the process of investigation.
6. Last but not least, my condolence to the family and I am sure all Malaysians of conscience would share their grief.