The public spat between certain DAP and PAS leaders on the issue of Hudud should not be viewed emotionally. Hudud is not going to happen any time soon, even if PAS wins all its allocated seats in this GE.
PAS contested around 70 seats this time–correct me if I am wrong– and that is just around 1/3 of total seats. Even if they win all their seats (which of course is impossible), they cannot implement Hudud since it is not in the common policies agreed upon by all three partners of the coalition. To implement Hudud, a party needs to have more than 2/3 of support in Parliament, because that is the mandatory requirement to amend our Constitution.
In coalition politics, for example in Germany and many other countries, it is what is agreed upon by all partners that will form the basis of rule.
Both PAS and DAP leaders have said time and again that they have agreed on 95% of issues and that will form the basis of their policies when PR wins and start their administration. The other 5%, including Hudud, would not be implemented since it is not agreed upon by all 3 partners, and it is not in their common platform.
The public ‘spat’ or rather disagreement should be viewed positively and shows that there is no one dominant force within the coalition. It goes to show that in PR, the three components are equal partners, and no one is going to dominate over another.
This contrasts with BN which has nominally many component parties, but in actual fact, there is only one dominant force, The Big Brother. What the Big Brother wants, it becomes BN’s policies, the Big Brother gets. Other components are no more equal partners, but merely there to lend legimacy to the Big Brother. Where were Gerakan and MCA and MIC when DR M announced that Malaysia is an Islamic country in one of the National assemblies of Gerakan many years ago?
I cannot imagine any public disagreement of the sort between PAS and DAP happening in BN. If any component party were to be at loggerhead with the Big Brother, all sorts of deals or manuvering (either carrots or sticks) would be taken to ensure the componet party toe the line of the Big Brother. So the more skeletons the heads of componnent parties have, the more pleased would be the Big Brother because they can effectively put a leash on the necks of those ledders and thus indirectly control the parties.
So the public disagreement between DAP and PAS has given more confident to me that their coalition, PR, is made up of equals . That augers well, since in that case, the agreeed upon platform would not be skewed to one side only. Logic would dictate that only the middle ground would be in the agreed platform of policies to be implemented.
So there is really no fear to vote PAS since even if HUDUD is their agenda, it is not in the common policies that all 3 partners agreed upon.
PR should thank MCA for this advetisement which states that DAP=PAS. Why Not?